Becoming a Tachograph Technician
What requirements do I have to meet in order to register for the tachograph technician exam?
No specific training or diploma is required to take the tachograph technician exam. However, in most cases you will take a course before taking this exam. In that case, your trainer will request the exam for you through a group registration.
If you want to apply for the exam yourself without the intervention of a trainer, you can contact IBKI by phone at 030-6087766, option 2. A staff member will then take care of the registration for you. You can also request registration for this exam by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much does the exam cost?
The current rates for the exam can be found at:
Price tachograph technician exam
Where will my tachograph technician exam take place and what do I need to bring with me?
The tachograph technician exam is mainly taken at the location of your trainer. For re-examinations or occasional first exams, you can also take the exam at the IBKI headquarters (Nieuwegein, Structuurbaan 2). In order to be admitted to the tachograph technician exam, you will need to be able to identify yourself in advance with a valid EU identification document (passport, driver’s license, or identity card), or from the country of origin. Please be present 15 minutes prior to the start of the exam.
If you have any questions prior to the exam, you can ask them by email at email@example.com or by phone at 030-6087766, option 2.
What does my exam look like and when do I pass?
The tachograph technician exam consists of two parts:
- Part 1 consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and lasts up to 75 minutes. For this part, you must answer at least 70% of the questions correctly.
- Part 2 will be in the form of a practical exam and will take a maximum of 80 minutes. For this part you need to do at least 70% of the assignments adequately.
In part 1 the following parts of the Handbook Tachograph are questioned:
- Tab 1 General
- Tab 2 Regulation Tachographs
- Tab 3 Tachograph card regulation
- Tab 5 Work on the tachograph
In part 2 the following topics will come up:
- A complete or partial investigation.
- Checking components of the tachograph installation.
- Downloading data from a vehicle unit.
- Making and assessing print-outs.
- Checking for manipulations in the tachograph installation.
The exam tachograph technician will only be taken in Dutch, it is important that you read, write and understand the Dutch language adequately.
I have a complaint about my exam